Saturday, January 2, 2010

[Naru] The Name 'Naru'

As I was asking myself how Naru actually came to his name, as it is usually translated with 'ferry, ship', I found accidentally an article (from may 2008) where he explains it.

"You ask why 'Naru'? Friends called me 'Kkangnaru'. When I wrote on the Ssamji Sound Festival Board, I left without thinking the 'kkang*', which is the last name, away and wrote as 'Naru'. At the end this became my name. It really has no meaning. It's a bit boring, isn't it?"


* His real name is Kang Kyung Tae, Kang being the last name.

When Naru was in a school band in High School, playing the guitar wasn't more than a hobby, but listening to friends he participated at the Ssamji Sound Festival (which takes place every year), uploading two of his home made songs (meaning he did all - guitar, bass, drums, singing). Even though he didn't came through, Happy Robots who heard his songs was calling him and taking him into their 'family'.

Next question that has to be solved: How did the friends come to call him 'Kkangnaru'.

No comments: